Yesterday we went to Jogjakarta to support the missionary efforts there. They have six missionaries serving; four elders and two sisters. One set of elders wanted to visit a man who is preparing for baptism. Timatous lives 17 km away from the church, a hefty bike ride. So we were recruited for the task. But as Mel put it -- good news and bad news. We had agreed to split up and I would go with the sisters and he would go with one of the sets of elders. So the good news is a baptism the bad news was I need to go with the sisters on bikes. Mel was just fine with going out with the elders on bikes. He has ridden to work or basketball every day for 30 years. I can probably count the number of times I have ridden a bike in the last five years on one hand.
So I boarded the bike with confidence that the Lord and the two sisters with me would watch out for me. Now I will caveat this with the note that Indonesian traffic is a bit different than in the states, that is why we are required to use a driver. Number one is they drive on the left side of the road. Next they disregard most lines and cars and motorcycles just fill up the road as there is space. Dump in buses, trucks, becaks and a few bikes in the mix and it makes for a hearty chowder. The amazing thing is that it works reasonably well. The traffic flows like a river, amazingly fluid as it swirls about town. It moves slower than US traffic and that is defiantly a good thing. Well with Sister Manurung leading the way and Sister Zabriskie following to pick up the bike or body parts if needed, we took off.
It was a faith promoting experience. Vehicles moved about us, I managed to keep up and I didn't get lost. The toughest part was riding through the narrow paths of the kampungs. I missed turns, found a few walls and drug my feet to keep balanced as we slithered up and down the way to meet with some wonderful people.
First appointment was with an 89 year old sister who is too old to attend church. We sang hymns, read the Book of Mormon and shared testimonies together. Next was a woman who runs a food stall. The lessons usually are short and interrupted with customers. But this time we had a wonderful lesson that concluded before the next customer arrived. Next we met with an elderly man who walks to church each Sunday. Perhaps he can use that tenacity to quit smoking and be baptized. The last appointment was with a couple who are living on the street. We taught the lesson on a bench at the bus stop.
I was able to add my testimony at each appointment. I had written out a testimony to use because I found myself tongue tied the last few days. But this day I was able to just speak, slowly of course and share the feelings of my heart. That is why I am here.
|
No comments:
Post a Comment